Foundations: Legal Essentials
Women experiencing family violence often have multiple pressing matters that must be dealt with in different courts, in different jurisdictions and under different legislation. You will often be the first point of contact for women experiencing family violence, and being able to identify her legal issues and provide legal information, will support her to better navigate the legal system. This foundation training covers legal essentials in family violence, family law and child protection law.
Who should attend?
- Practitioners in family violence services
- Practitioners in community and health services
What will you learn?
- The essential in family violence law, child protection law and family law
- To ask the right questions to identify critical and urgent legal issues (even when clients don’t present with these questions)
- Provide legal information to assist your client’s matter
- Work collaboratively with lawyers
- Prepare clients for court and meetings with their lawyer
You will receive a copy of WLSV’s Critical Legal Issues Map - a family violence legal triage designed specifically to assist practitioners to guide and support clients through the legal system.
What do other participants say?
- “Gained a better understanding of why lawyers do/say certain things”
- “Vital information provided, relevant to my work.”
- “Good to have the checklists and maps to refer to.”
- “I will use the map to feel more confident in providing information/guidance to clients"
Women's Legal Service Victoria